US Carrier Strike Group deploys to the South China Sea

Discussion in 'East Asia & The Pacific' started by AMDR, Mar 3, 2016.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    The U.S. just sent a carrier strike group to confront China
    uss_john_c_stennis_cvn_74_19.JPG

By David Larter, Navy Times4:26 p.m. EST March 3, 2016

The U.S. Navy has dispatched a small armada to the South China Sea.

The carrier John C. Stennis, two destroyers, two cruisers and the 7th Fleet flagship have sailed into the disputed waters in the last 24 hours, according to military officials. The carrier strike group is the latest show of force in the tense region, with the U.S. asserting that China is militarizing the region to guard its excessive territorial claims.

Stennis is joined in the region by the cruisers Antietam and Mobile Bay, and the destroyers Chung-Hoon and Stockdale. The command ship Blue Ridge, the floating headquarters of the Japan-based 7th Fleet, is also in the area, en route to a port visit in the Philippines, and Stennis deployed from Washington State on Jan. 15.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...e-group-deployed-to-south-china-sea/81270736/

2. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Finally all of our allies were like :0o0:

The Chinese are pushing it too far with all of their air bases, radar stations and SAM sites. They just blocked the Fillipinos from Jackson Island and with in a matter of years will have firmly established their 9 dash line claims. This is a good move but it maybe too late. Are we going to actually confront the Chinese or is this just to tell our allies that we tried?

Osmanovic, AMDR and T-123456 like this.
  3. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

In this case(Obama),the latter.

Osmanovic and AMDR like this.
  4. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    I'll be honest, I haven't been following the SCS situation as closely as perhaps I'd need too to have an in-depth conversation here. What is considered a "confrontation?"

I should think military action, even limited conflict or skirmishes are off limits due to their potential to spiral out of control quickly, so what's being proposed?

@Cossack25A1 what'd you like to see from the Americans in regards to China?

I also echo T-123456's sentiment that this should have been done sooner, though I understand the caution in not to cause a spark that'd ignite this tinderbox. It's already a contentious situation, perhaps caution is more important that action?

I'd like to see the US agree to arm Taiwan and the Philippines with more modern weapons, and to see the US open up to sales to Vietnam, which has been interested in MPA's like older P-3s or even sales of the P-8. Anything to gain leverage with China and right the balance away from China's favor.

5. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

Well,this Carrier Strike Group could patrol the Filipino ''corridor'' to and around the atol and make sure no Chinese ships try to harrase the Filipino ships and thus,make a statement.

6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Stennis Strike Group Wraps Up Routine Operations in the South China Sea

web_160304-N-ZH960-083.jpg

PHILIPPINE SEA (NNS) -- The John C. Stennis Strike Group (JCSSG) has completed routine operations in the South China Sea, and transited into the Philippine Sea through the Luzon Strait.

The JCSSG operated in the South China Sea, March 1 through March 6.

It was the crew's first time operating there since their regularly scheduled deployment began Jan. 15. The JCSSG conducted daily flight operations and a replenishment-at-sea during their transit, receiving advanced bio fuel, aviation fuel, and supplies from USNS Rainier (T-AOE 7).

While operating in the South China Sea, the crew sharpened their skills in one of the most heavily trafficked areas in the world. Roughly $5 trillion in trade is shipped through the South China Sea every year.

Senior Chief Quartermaster Henry Nicol, USS John C. Stennis' (CVN 74) navigation department leading chief petty officer, said it's essential to carefully monitor the ship's position and course, because of congested sea lanes.

Sailors working in Stennis' Carrier Air Traffic Control Center (CATCC) also take on a more active role in controlling aircraft.

Lt. Jason Falk, from the Wizards of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133, from Stuart, Florida, welcomes the challenge.

"It feels exciting," Falk said. "I'm putting what I have learned to use."

Falk said the crew remains on higher alert while operating in this congested area to identify contacts as early as possible to maintain awareness.

Additionally, People's Liberation Army (Navy) ships remained in the vicinity of Stennis during its time in the South China Sea. All bridge-to-bridge interactions between the Sailors of both navies were professional.

"Based on the bridge-to-bridge communications USS Chung-Hoon had with the PLA(N) ships, it is clear that the Chinese Navy prides itself on professional communications and interactions," said Cmdr. Tom Ogden, commanding officer of USS Chung-Hoon (DDG 93).

Rear Adm. Ronald Boxall, JCSSG's commander, said he is not surprised by other countries' interests in the strike group.

"We're exercising our right to operate in international waters," Boxall said. "Our presence here promotes peace and stability in the region."

The strike group is comprised of Stennis with Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9 and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 21 embarked, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Chung-Hoon (DDG 93), USS Stockdale (DDG 106), USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110), and Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay (CG 53).

CVW-9 consists of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 71, Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 14, Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 112, Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 133 and Strike Fighter Squadrons (VFA) 151, 97, 41, and 14.

The strike group is the centerpiece of the Great Green Fleet, a yearlong initiative highlighting the Navy's efforts to transform its energy use to increase operational capability. JCSSG will use energy efficiency measures, to include technologies and operational procedures, and alternative fuel in the course of its normal operations.

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=93482

160304-N-MY174-056.jpg

7. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

I had my hopes up that this deployment was extraordinary but again its something that was routine and planned out. $%$%

Osmanovic and Pathfinder like this.
  8. Osmanovic

Osmanovic 1st Lieutenant

Its looking more and more like we only care about our own ships being able to sail through the South China Sea. After China fully asserts its control you will see that we will have a special agreement with them to sail through their waters while our allies are left on the sidelines. They have no choice but to work with us thus in the eyes of our leadership their concerns are not important.

9. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    America should continue the FON so that the SCS sealanes remains open and not dominated by China, because the recent actions by China shows that they intend to control that sea area for themselves and all vessels passing through must first respond to PLA "hails", whether the others like it or not.

Pathfinder likes this.
  10. sabo

sabo Officer Candidate

Is it wise to be opening another front with China/North Korea when we have issues going on with Ukraine and Syria?! I think the US military is fighting the last war in terms of strategy. I think years of corrupt defense contracts has left our military in a much worse state then people realize. Russia learning the lessions from the Georgia conflict has made huge improvements and they seem to roll out new tech that is surtpassing NATO all the time now.

I am looking at this from a pure strategic stand point, with no inflated nationalism behind it. Years of war has taken its toll on our veterans and our equipment. In the 70's and 80's the scare of Russia pushed our military developments to new hieghts, especially with the Abrams development. But what have we developed since? We put a lot of emphisis on big, costly tech, when its been proven that cheap, mass produced weapons, usually win wars.