US Navy Develops Brahmos Like Missile

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by Falcon, Mar 28, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

US Navy develops a Brahmos-like ramjet powered missile in just 6 months using off-the-shelf parts

[​IMG]

For a military with the world’s largest defence budget, things move at a glacial pace, or so experts say. Therefore, it’s surprising that the US Navy actually managed to design, build and test a new ramjet missile in just six months.

How did they do it? Off-the-shelf parts and a credit card.

To avoid bureaucracy and miles of red tape, the team behind the rocket decided to keep things small and use off-the-shelf parts. Most of the components, in fact, were simply bought with a credit card. They were also relatively cheap, which allowed the team to test their design more frequently.

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-anal...-months-using-off-the-shelf-parts-368428.html

2. Kat

Kat 1st Lieutenant

Kat
    Hobby:
    =^_^=
    But used for what? It's like Brahmos in that it's ramjet powered, but that seems to be the only similarity. Brahmos is a mammoth missile.

[​IMG]

This new US navy project? Not so much. I suppose it could be used as a hit-to-kill (or outfitted with a small warhead) and turned into a light-weight anti-ship missile, possible for countering fastboats. I doubt it'll impart the kinetic energy necessary to cripple larger warships like those fielded by China or Russia. But being smaller, more could fit a USN destroyer or LCS versus larger missiles like Harpoon or LRASM saving space on the ships and affording them a greater armament load out.

A ramjet would hardly be beneficial for an anti-missile or SAM without a booster as they lack acceleration. No point in replacing ESSM as a new variant is in testing and the Standard series is far too useful and utilitarian to replace.

It's far smaller then Harpoon so unless it's a hit-to-kill missile it's an odd air-to-surface choice. I have doubts about the lethality of such a small platform anyway. Russian offings offered high speed and high weight, providing a package that could cripple a cruiser-class target through their shear impact alone, let alone that the Russian's always ripple fired their missiles and packed them with large warheads.

[​IMG]

My guess? It's the Navy's counter to Meteor or PL-15. Going further to a true replacement for Phoenix. I can't see such a weapon system being used otherwise given its choice of powerplant and size.

[​IMG]

AIM-120D only goes so far.