US Sets Up Camp at Rmeilan Air Base in N.W. Syria

Discussion in 'U.S. Strategic Affairs' started by Pathfinder, Jan 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

US 'takes control' of Rmeilan airfield in Syria

e48cb68b166442a4be49e0e33c72ebe0_18.JPG

U.S. special operations troops have reportedly taken over an airfield in northeastern Syria, potentially clearing the way to flow more American military support to friendly militias fighting the Islamic State group.

A small team of U.S. troops is setting up a base camp at Rmeilan Air Base in the Syrian Kurdish region near Syria's Iraqi and Turkish borders, according to local reports.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...ver-airbase-syria-local-reports-say/79115490/

Under a deal with the YPG, the US was given control of the airport. The purpose of this deal is to back up the SDF, by providing weapons and an airbase for US warplanes," Taj Kordsh, a media activist from the SDF told Al Jazeera on Tuesday.

"This airport was previously controlled by the YPG for over two years now. This strategic airport is close to several oil bases - one of the biggest in this area.

"Rmeilan airport was previously used for agricultural purposes by the Syrian government," he said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/takes-control-rmeilan-airfield-syria-160119141331681.html

AMDR likes this.
  2. T-123456

T-123456 Captain Staff Member International Mod

What is SDF?

Pathfinder likes this.
  3. Pathfinder

Its supposed to be some kind of unified Syrian force that encompasses all of the different groups present in Syria with the goal of beating ISIL. I don't know much about them but I think they mostly operate in North Western Syria so that gives us a clue as to who they are. From what I saw on wikipedia they consist of a lot of Kurdish Forces, Arabs (looks like mostly christian), and some sunni arabs. I think they are the ones that crossed west of the euphrates a few weeks ago. I saw Kurds on Twitter celebrating that event so again we get a clue into what they are about.

T-123456 likes this.
  4. T-123456

So they call themselves the Syrian Democratic Forces.
    When did they cross the Euphrate river,thats a red line to us(Turkiye),i didnt see any confirmation of this by Turkish media,i doubt it to be true?
    Btw,it just the YPG with some Arabs(Christians),the Sunni forces(FSA) do not see them as legit.

Pathfinder likes this.
  5. Pathfinder

For some reason I think their activity will be restricted to North Western Syria because other Sunni Arab Forces are being trained to clear ISIL from North Eastern Syria.

AMDR and T-123456 like this.
  6. T-123456

You mean the other way around?
    North West =Turkmen,Arabs,North East=only Kurds there?
    you guys dont know their(YPG) objective,as soon as they defeat ISIS,they will cleanse the territory from Arabs and others.
    There is a reason why my country is against the Syrian Kurds,we know them,they are just the Syrian arm of the PKK.

7. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Hold your horses boys

8. T-123456

@Pathfinder ,you were right about the Kurds crossing the Euphrate,i guess my government is all talk but no walk,what a shame.

9. Falcon

Falcon Major Staff Member Social Media Team

Or no room to walk. Where they crossed is outside of artillery range. The euphrates is a big river, I think you're government made a mistake by saying west of the euphrates.

AMDR and T-123456 like this.
  10. T-123456

My current government is the mistake,our president has the biggest mouth on earth.
    He together with your Obama is the cause for this mess.
    If you have the mouth to talk about Red Lines but no balls to actually do something when those red lines are crossed,you are worthless demented chicken.
    Its not about the range of the artillery,if i say ''dont cross the Euphrate'' and you cross it,i must(no choice) act accordingly(whatever is needed).
    Just send a tank batalion supported by the Airforce and see if the Russians dare to attack.
    Im so ashamed of the leadership in my country,just a disgrace.
    So fucking pissed.

AMDR likes this.