USAF to integrate SDB I and Laser SDB onto AC-130W/J gunships

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by AMDR, Oct 7, 2015.

Share This Page

1. AMDR

AMDR Captain Staff Member Administrator

Student
    USAF to integrate SDB I and Laser SDB onto AC-130W/J gunships
    http://www.janes.com/article/54947/usaf-to-integrate-sdb-i-and-laser-sdb-onto-ac-130w-j-gunships

[​IMG]
    GBU-39 Small Diameter Bombs (SDBs) fitted to the centreline of a USAF F-15E on the BRU-61 rack. The service is now looking to integrate this weapon and the Laser SDB on board its special mission AC-130W/J gunships. Source: Jamie Hunter

The US Air Force (USAF) is looking to integrate the Boeing GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bomb (SDB I) and GBU-39B/B Laser Small Diameter Bomb (LSDB) on board its special operation forces aircraft, it was disclosed on 23 September.

A notification posted on the Federal Business Opportunities website by the Department of the Air Force requests information on integrating and fielding the SDB I and LSDB on board its Lockheed Martin AC-130W Dragon Spear/Stinger II and AC-130J Ghostrider gunships.

The request for information (RfI) covers integration, test, training, and sustainment of the SDB I and LSDB weapon systems on the AC-130W and AC-130J, including clearance of the SDB and LSDB systems from the BRU-61/A launcher rack at 150 to 200 kt, 10,000 to 25,000 ft, and with an aircraft bank of up to 30°.

As set out in the notification, flight trials will include eight captive carry sorties out of Eglin Air Force Base (AFB) in Florida, four guided test-vehicle missions at Eglin AFB, and two live-fire demonstrations at the White Sands Missile Range and the Pacific Missile Range Facility.

Responses to the RfI are due no later than 15:00 (Central Standard Time) on 23 October.

The US Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) currently fields 12 AC-130W and 17 AC-130U Spooky gunships, and has received the first of 37 AC-130Js. Once all the AC-130Js have been received by about the mid-2020s, the AC-130Ws will revert back to their baseline MC-130W Combat Spear special mission configuration, and the AC-130Us will be retired.

The AC-130Ws and AC-130Js are both equipped with the same palletised Precision-Strike Package (PSP), which comprises a single 30 mm Mk44 Bushmaster cannon, precision-guided munitions, as well as a 105 mm cannon. The SDB I and LSDB are precision, low-cost and lightweight munitions that are intended to combine the destructive effect of much larger bombs with a stand-off range afforded by pop-out wings.

Admin likes this.