USNA Graduates please help- USNA vs Marine Corps NROTC

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by Cadet1998, Jan 22, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Cadet1998

Cadet1998 Officer Candidate

I have had the honor of recently being notified that I have both received a nomination and appointment to attend USNA class of 2021. I see this as a huge blessing but the more I research the Naval Academy, the more negative perspectives and opinions I come into contact with. I have also received a Marine Corps NROTC Scholarship to Texas A&M University and am happy with the options that God has given me in terms of education before service. I have read reviews of USNA from people who graduated anywhere from 20-50 years ago but with today's changing political atmosphere, I would like a fresh perspective from those who graduated 1-5 years ago. Just to be clear, I am extremely thankful for this opportunity and am trying to figure out which option would be best for me.

What I've heard about A&M ROTC and Corps of Cadets:
    • Close to Home
    • Part time college-student, part time midshipmen
    • Modern classes and environment
    • Traditions, Alumni, and a vast network upon graduation
    • Opportunities within the Corps (training exercises)
    • A fair amount of downtime
    • Not as focused as a Service Academy
    What I've heard about USNA:
    • Not that different from an ROTC program
    • Great opportunities to make connections such as politicians, guest speakers, future service members
    • Being able to be immersed in military lifestyle and learn to lead
    • USNA is a constant grind and many people have said the best part of USNA is leaving and being able to say you graduated
    • The educational program (degree path) is not as up-to-date and emphasized as leadership skills and military knowledge
    • Many doors opened and opportunities post-graduation
    I am not as concerned with which school I attend as I am with being able to serve in the Marine Corps. Any and all perspectives and advice are welcome. I'm just an 18 year old trying to figure this out. My main question is: What was your time spent at USNA like, how did it help you, and would you choose another route (ROTC) if possible?

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    The only advice i can give you. You need to find out what is the most interesting thing for you. What you find is interesting there is bigger chance of succeeding. The sec advice i want to give. Ask military if they can test you out on what potensial you have. And when they find what potensial u have. They can also tell you what is the best choices for you to do a good job for US Military. Ps. I am not talking about regular iq test. Good luck and all the best :)

Pathfinder likes this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

I don't have any experience with either but eventually being in the Navy seems interesting, if you are on a ship then you will travel the world and make interesting port visits where you get to experience and appreciate different cultures. You can also be exposed to other nations soldiers more frequently. The navy is also the backbone of American power, being part of the Navy would be awesome from that perspective as well.