War movies: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Cybermat47, Oct 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Cybermat47

Cybermat47 2nd Lieutenant

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games
    One of the worst war movies I've seen is The Red Baron, a 2008 German war film.

Here it is:

That might not have seemed too bad, but compare what the Red Baron says in the movie to what he said in real life:

"Aim for the man and don't miss him. If you are fighting a two-seater, get the observer first; until you have silenced the gun, don't bother about the pilot."

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish."

"The aggressive spirit, the offensive, is the chief thing everywhere in war, and the air is no exception."

"It is a pity that my collection of trophies contains not a single Russian."

Doesn't really sound like the sort of guy who would land in the middle of a battle to have a merry little stroll with an enemy pilot, does he?

Frankly, I find it disgusting that people are willing to completely misrepresent someone in order to make money... and possibly push an agenda. After all, they omit the fact that Werner Voss had a swastika (then a harmless good-luck symbol used in the French and American militaries as well), and, most suspicious of all, they don't even make mention of the fact that Wolfram von Richthofen was in charge of the bombings of Guernica, Warsaw, and Stalingrad during his Luftwaffe service in the 30s and 40s.

What do you guys think are the worst war movies made?

Pathfinder likes this.
  2. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    For me, the worst "war" movie is the 2001 movie Pearl Harbor, directed by Michael Bay. Instead of history, it focused on an unnecessary love story, which took up 90% of the movie's screen time.

Pathfinder likes this.
  3. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    And in the movie nobody is smoking... It's unreal for 1940s. Nothing is said about american sanctions against Japans as a reason for war, etc...
    But that for me, it is not a war movie at all.

4. Cossack25A1

Cossack25A1 1st Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Collecting Waifus.
    Anyone who would classify the movie Pearl Harbor as a "war movie" is a fool as the movie is more like a "romantic story set months before the US directly got involved in WW2".

Pathfinder and YarS like this.
  5. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    I can recommend you "Only old men going to battle". Great film about war routine. English subtitles aviable.

Cossack25A1 and Pathfinder like this.
  6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Wind Talkers was a bad one. It could have been a good one but it had too many cliches and came off as cheesy.

I like Saving Private Ryan a lot.

The Band of Brothers series was good too.

Cybermat47 and Cossack25A1 like this.
  7. Cybermat47

Cybermat47 2nd Lieutenant

Student
    Hobby:
    Video games

I haven't seen SPR, but I've heard nothing but praise for it.

I have seen most of BoB, and it was superb.

Have you seen The Pacific? It's from the same team behind BoB, but, as the title suggests, it focuses on US Marines in the Pacific, specifically three Marines of the 1st Marine Division: Gunnery Sergeant John Basilone MoH, Private First Class Robert Leckie, and Corporal Eugene Sledge. It's actually based on their memoirs, and it paints a harsh and unforgiving image of the war - as it should.

[MEDIA]
    [/MEDIA]

YarS likes this.
  8. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    May be, you will be interested in "9-th company"? Thats for me, it is not best movie about Afganistan (I don't like holliwood-style movies), but here is english version, so it can be interested for you.
    Trailer:

Full movie:

Cossack25A1 likes this.
  9. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    One of the best Russian military comedies "DMB" (Demobbed). There are english subtitles, but I suppose, that you will not understand Russian humour. But you can try, of course.

10. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    OK, @Cossack25A1 . Now I can recommend you a movie about Cossacks. "Taras Bulba" 2009, based on Novell of Nicolay Gogol'.

Cossack25A1 likes this.