What if 9/11 had never happened ?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Vergennes, Mar 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Vergennes

Vergennes Captain Staff Member Ret. Military International Mod

I hope @AMDR and @Admin would allow me to open this thread.

-
    How do you guys think the world (And the US) would look like if the attacks that occured on 9/11 had never happened....... If the twin towers were still dominating New York.... If the 9-1-1 only meant nothing more than the emergency telephone call ?

No war in Iraq ? Afghanistan ? Saddam would be still here ? No Daesh ? Would the US be more worried about the Pacific and rising China than the middle east ?

It's amazing to say how the world has changed so much after these attacks..
    -

@Atilla @Osmanovic @Pathfinder @Patriot1776 @Falcon @Technofox @Cybermat47 @xenon54

2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Honestly I think it was an inevitability. And if not 9/11, then some other time, some other place, some other means... that wasn't the first Al-Qaeda attack against a US target, nor was it the last they planned or tried.

1993 World Trade Center bombing:
    [​IMG]

1998 Nairobi Embassy bombing:
    [​IMG]

And Dar es Salaam:
    [​IMG]

USS Cole in 2000:[​IMG]

The US was a target long before 9/11 happened, if not then then some other time and place.

But for the sake of argument, would anything be different? Could Saddam be trusted not to start another conflict in the Middle East, as he did in 1991? Would Al-Qaeda go unchecked or would the US continue to hound them as they'd been doing with cruise missile strikes in Afghanistan, as part of Operation Infinite Reach?

[​IMG]

And also in Sudan:

[​IMG]

Just as 9/11 spurned the US and allies into action against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, Operation Infinite Reach happened as retaliation for the 1998 Embassy Bombings.

Even if 9/11 didn't happen, something else, something like the 1998 Embassy Bombings, would have caused the US to move into action. I don't think it could be avoided, the region was just too volatile in the late 90s, early 2000s.

And while I have my reservations about the War in Iraq, the War in Afghanistan did achieve its aim of stopping terrorist attacks on US soil, though at the expense of regional and European nations, so the US decision to invade Afghanistan at least bore fruit.

This is an interesting one for me. ISIS is a rebranding of AQI, which had most of its senior leadership killed by US and allied forces in the later stages of the Iraq War, and which was so brutal and AQ Central disowned it. It wasn't formed to fight US troops, but cause even greater sectarian tensions in Iraq to promote further instability and grow the Al-Qaeda brand in Iraq and beyond. Zarqawi wasn't going to stop at the borders of Iraq, he, like AQ Central, planned for a region wide group.

If the US doesn't invade and cause the instability that fostered post disbanded of the Iraqi Army, which due to instability, religious tensions and looting couldn't be reformed anyway, maybe Abu Musab al-Zarqawi doesn't have the conditions needed for the formation of AQI and as a result ISIS. Maybe the region is stable enough that the AQ or ISIS dogma doesn't take root enough to bloom and spread?

Or maybe the conditions were always there and ISIS would have sprouted up elsewhere in another volatile and instable region. If there's a fiery ideology, only a spark is needed and in the Middle East/North Africa, when isn't there a spark?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Vergennes and Pathfinder like this.
  3. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

They launched a lot of attacks against us, and they have been attempting to destabilize middle eastern countries for a while.I think if 9/11 didn't happen some other attack on another date would happen and we might have still ended up going into Afghanistan to get bin Laden.

Al-qaeda and ISIS type groups feed off of instability and poverty. As long as those exist in an uncontrollable manner in the middle east these groups will continue to exist. It is important to work with regional middle eastern allies in stabilizing the region both from an economic aspect and from a security aspect.

Vergennes and Cybermat47 like this.
  4. xenon54

xenon54 Officer Candidate

Well im not Nostradamus but im pretty sure isis wouldnt exists even thought AQ would probably be stronger than today, so who would you choose isis or AQ? |Nailbiting|

Vergennes likes this.
  5. Myachiguy11

Myachiguy11 2nd Lieutenant

Historian
    Hobby:
    Military History
    I think the U.S would still have realized there was a rising threat in the Middle East and that it needed to be taken care of. But 9/11 I think made the U.S more aware and more likely to deal with international terrorism.

Pathfinder likes this.