What is your favorite historical battle of all time?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Myachiguy11, Apr 12, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Myachiguy11

Myachiguy11 2nd Lieutenant

Historian
    Hobby:
    Military History
    I was just wondering how many people had a favorite battle of all time.

2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Mine would be the battle of Berlin. I love the build up to it, the competition between the various countries to reach it first, the competition between the allied generals. The stories of the Germans who fought in Berlin are also very interesting. Another cool thing about the battle is how it leads us into the Cold War.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J31305_2C_Auszeichnung_des_Hitlerjungen_Willi_H_C3_BCbner.jpg

Entry-2.-Battle-of-Berlin.jpg

The Berlin Wall from 1950's-60's (13).jpg

image.jpg

3. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Unionsoppløysinga is my favorite historical battle.

Just look at this sweet 1905 propaganda swag!

[​IMG]

With war on the horizon, and discord in the union, the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway was on the brink of dissolution. Sweden's threat of an all-out assault on Glorious Western-Sweden was unacceptable! A slap in the face!

"To battle!" The cries of the Viking kin rang, "For independence!"

August 13, 1905 the first shots were fired. A popular uprising awoke, keen to push Sweden out of Norwegian land for the last time. Two months of brutal fighting, two months of horrible loses, October 26, 1905 we'd won. November 18, 1905 Norway became Norway again.

Norge was no longer a vassal to anyone!

Ok, I'm joking:D. The only battle was a war of words between Norwegian and Swedish diplomats. Sweden's threat of war was in no-one's interest, not even theirs, and following the August 13 plebiscite they realized Norway couldn't be kept any longer, by force or otherwise, lest an actual war rip the nations in two and spoil their friendship.

Realizing Norway was lost, both sides sought to minimize the risk of a bloody secession and resolved to diplomatically divorce.

History has shown bright on Glorious Norway.

This isn't my favorite by a longshot, but I do think it's an interesting case of how to fight a modern war the "wrong way"

The Battle of Grozny (1999-2000)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The battle left a lingering insurgence and a lot of resentment in Chechnya; both continue to this day.

Scorched Earth tactics are costly, ineffective and brutal. They are being repeated in Syria with similar consequences.

Pathfinder likes this.