Which military branch do you recommend for me?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by tteeeps, Jul 11, 2016.

Share This Page

1. tteeeps

tteeeps Officer Candidate

I am not sure if I am posting on the right section, but here is my current situation.

I am a 21 year old male college student. I was on a baseball scholarship but I am transferring schools to switch my major. I am thinking about rather nursing or criminal justice (in hopes to get into a federal agency). I currently live in Rochester, Michigan and I think I will be switching to a community college in my area for a semester, and then moving out to Grand Rapids to another community college, and then get into a university.

With all of the transferring and moving around, and no longer being on a scholarship, I will get into debt quickly until I get my career job. So basically I was thinking about joining the reserves, but I do not know much about anything in the military.

So this is what I am looking for:
    - A branch where I can live at home with my girlfriend and family, but give one weekend a month of my time and two weeks in the summer
    -A branch that will help me in my career
    -A branch that will help me pay for my college and gives benefits

I am used to being busy 24/7 from playing college baseball, so time and dedication is not an issue.

So what would you recommend for me to do? I need help and guidance that is why I am on here. Please express your opinions/

Vergennes likes this.
  2. Freyja

Freyja 2nd Lieutenant

1/2 Gaming 1/2 Baking
    Hobby:
    Video Games
    All branches are going to require some moving around, or even relocating. Reservist schools are the same as the regular branches, so unless you live near one of the bases, you're going to have to travel.

Looking at the Air Force Reserves, you'd only be working a few weeks every month, so you'd definitely have time off:

The great majority of jobs in the Air Force Reserve are part-time (one weekend a month and two weeks a year); however there are a small number of full-time members who provide continuity for our program between weekend drills.

These full-time positions open up from time to time, and after you are fully trained and established in your Reserve unit, you may be in a position to apply for one of those jobs as they become available.

Occasionally, the Wing has not been able to fill a vacant full-time position from within, and on such occasions, new enlistees in the Reserve are able to fill them.

It's important to keep in mind that there is a minimum required enlistment period. For the USAF Reserves this period is 6 years of required service.

https://afreserve.com/faq/?q=1#

All Reservist branches offer specialized career fields like engineering and medical where they will train you, certify you and help to prepare you for a life in the civilian sector or transfer you to active service, so depending on your area of interest, they can help you with your career.

https://afreserve.com/faq/?q=1#

Absolutely. After a minimum service period, both you and your family will be eligible for benefits such as dental and medical coverage, student loan repayment assistance and even college credit, all in addition to the pay you'd be receiving as a reservist:

https://afreserve.com/faq/?q=3

Above all, I'd recommend taking a look at the websites of each of the Reserve branches, comparing what you're interested with what they can offer. The above is for the USAF Reserve, but another branch may be more in-line with what you're interested in or expecting.

Talking to a recruiter is another important step.

@AMDR @Pathfinder @Technofox (American related stuff, but I know you're more familiar then I am) @Sven (I know you're lurking around!!)

Vergennes likes this.