Will MEPS disqualify me for skin peeling from sunburn?

Discussion in 'U.S. Marine Corps' started by Mikew1109, Aug 18, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mikew1109

Mikew1109 Officer Candidate

I went to the beach about a week ago... I m now starting to peel from the sunburn I got from it. The problem is only my shoulders are starting to peel and the rest of my back has white spots all over it... I don t know if I should force the skin off by scrubbing really hard or wait it out. Also I m afraid that the doctor will think I have some sort of skin condition even though it s clearly sunburn but who knows with MEPS. You could have a paper cut and they d think it would be cancer. Anyway, It is now Thursday night and I am going back to MEPS Wednesday at 5 am. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thank you!!

2. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    You could be temporarily DQ yes. If that's the case, it's best to seek waiver options. Individuals can be disqualified for a host of medical conditions like acne and other dermatological afflictions like psoriasis. This includes photosensitivity concerns like polymorphous light eruptions and solar urticarial or any condition which sunlight may aggravate like lupus erythematosus. If you've overly sensitive skin and are prone to sunburns frequently when out in sunlight, this can be disqualifying. But occasional burning should not be.

It's always been to advice any medical personal of existing conditions and if you've a temporary conditions like a peeling sunburn, let them know. If it's not chronic and not infectious, you can be granted a pass or waiver.

In addition to talking with medical personal, here's a brief list of disqualifying medical conditions:

https://www.thebalance.com/military-medical-standards-for-enlistment-and-appointment-3354059

3. Mikew1109

Mikew1109 Officer Candidate

First off thank you for replying. Second, this sun burn is more like I went to the beach and fucked up by not putting on sunblock again on a very hot day with no clouds. I do not have anything chronic. It's peeling because I'm assuming that's a normal thing when your skin is healing after. The parts that are already peeled off has normal, smooth skin underneath. As for the white spots.. I realized that is the sunblock I did not wipe off leading to having a patterned tan. Anyway I have no diseases with my skin. It's just pealing because it's healing. Hopefully by wednesday it will peel off and I'll be good to go. If not is there a way I could reschedule? My recruiter already knows about my skin peeling so maybe by Monday if it isn't looking like it's near finishing, I could reschedule the date? Again thank you for your time.

4. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    Yes there is. Call your recruiter and offer them an excuse for why you can't make it that day and ask to be rescheduled. It wont be honest, a peeling sunburn you're afraid to show them during a medical evaluation isn't going to meet the criteria for a postponement, but if you've a good enough excuse, it can be pushed back, but you need a good reason and more often then not they wont reschedule it.

Keep in mind a reschedule is subject to the whims and evaluation of your recruiter and if they've a reason to believe you aren't being honest about why you can't make it to your scheduled date, they can drop you, so only reschedule if you absolutely need to.

If you must reschedule call your recruiter. But honestly, I'd try to meet the original date. A peeling sunburn, if they already know about it is something they can verify based on its look, feel, location and symptoms and wont be a disqualifier during a MEPS evaluation. At best you'll pass. At worst you'll be temporarily DQ'd until the sunburn clears up and can be reevaluated. During a temporary disqualification you can seek a waiver too.

There are far worse consequences to rescheduling then there are for showing up, undergoing the evaluation and being honest with those evaluating you.

Typical parts of the MEPS medical evaluation are items like these, which are part of, but not completely inclusive of the MEPS medical portion:

• Almost any surgery other than an uncomplicated appendectomy or hernia repair, or ligation of tubes, male or female. Absolutely any surgery of the brain, back, spinal cord, chest, upper abdomen, pelvis, and joints. A tissue report is required in the case of most biopsies (skin, breast, etc.) of tumors and lumps.

• any history of hospitalization other than the exceptions listed directly above, even if it was only 1 or 2 days for tests.

• Any History of Asthma after 13th birthday.

• History of counseling (family, marriage, etc.).

• Skin diseases other than mild acne and athletes foot.

• Allergies if more than mild.

• Back sprains.

• ADD/ADHD

• Severe joint sprains.

• Heart conditions.

• Hepatitis, mononucleosis.

If you've any conditions, adult or childhood, bring documentation to support their existence. If you've none of the above, you shouldn't have much to worry about so long as you meet the weight, height and fitness requirements too.

There's more info on the MEPS medical basics here: https://www.thebalance.com/meps-at-a-glance-3354039

My advice based on personal experience during my service career: don't reschedule your MEPS evaluation, show up well rested and early, be honest and support any claims with proper documentations and don't fret the small stuff like colds, sunburns or any non-chronic, non-recurring medical problems.

You'll be just fine.

ozzyeah likes this.
Tags: