Hello. From USA. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Members Introduction' started by masv31, Aug 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. masv31

masv31 Officer Candidate

Hey all,
    So I am interested in enlisting in the military and could use some advice.

I just turned 36. Have my Bachelors in Business from a very good University and have been working professionally for several years. Obviously, I am too old to become an officer, which is very disappointing. Now my only option is to enlist. I am interested in the Air Force as they go up to 39. I have wanted to do this for several years now, but always got cold feet in the past.

My concerns mainly center around joining the military, as an enlisted man, at such an old age. Let's be honest, I'll be around people as young as 19, and most of them will be early 20's.

For all of the veterans out there, can you tell me what it might be like? How do the older guys get treated in boot camp/basic training? Do the younger guys give them a hard time? I have images of movies and all the stuff that happens dwelling through my mind.

Secondly, once boot camp is over, how will the adjustment be for an older guy? When all of your 'equals' in ranking are 15 years younger than you are.

Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    Hey there buddy! What section in Air Force may interest you? Beside that Look at you self as fine wine. The older it gets the better it is. You have a head start that many other people dont have. And if you have a talent or not. They will look up to you if you put down hard work like every one else. You need to use your skills you have learn over there years. where other people need to learn and fail. Fare as i know you can be also a fine leader in military. You might find a side of you self where military can work on so you can develop to be a good soldier for you country. Go for it and good luck

3. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    For a long time a go. One British guy gave me a good advice. Might give you something to think about.

Never regret a big step, and never regret doing something. When we are old we will look back on life and regret the things we did not do, and not regret the things we did do

masv31 likes this.
  4. masv31

masv31 Officer Candidate

Thanks. I am still working with my recruiter to see what area or 'career' would fit me best. I don't have any particular talent. I've worked in the TV field for many years and that's where most of my professional experience comes from.

I think I am more nervous about how people will treat me. I know it sounds dumb, but some friends of mine say boot camp can be pretty rough. Lot of fights break out, bullshit happens. Not sure how it would be for a much older dude.

5. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    You are welcome buddy. My recommendation to you. Start work out before you join the army. I dont know how soon you will be able to join. But being a bit fit before you join will help you allot. When it comes to self confident and when they start test you and train you. Just google a bit what you need to train on. Focus on what you need to eat to build muscle. And make sure you get good sleep. And the result will come fast.

Tirdad likes this.