K9, Caesar, M109G, and PZH-2000 Compete in Norwegian SPA Tender

Discussion in 'Land' started by Pathfinder, Feb 5, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Technofox

Technofox That Norwegian girl Staff Member Ret. Military Developer

Professional "Doer" of "Things"
    Hobby:
    Being a geek
    K9 at Rena:

Falcon, AMDR and Atilla like this.
  2. Atilla

Atilla Major

K9 loading vehicle

volk1.png

Falcon and AMDR like this.
  3. Kat

Kat 1st Lieutenant

Kat
    Hobby:
    =^_^=
    K9 Thunder, Caesar, Panzerhaubitze 2000 and M109G being trialed at Camp Rena in 2016.

PzH 2000 was down selected and K9 and RUAG M109 where selected for another round. If I'm not mistaken the entire tender was cancelled though and Norway choose to upgrade its M109A3GNMs instead of purchasing a new type.

Donar would have been interesting to see. One too many shots and it would've flipped like a turtle.

Pathfinder and Falcon like this.
  4. Nordic Wolf

Nordic Wolf 2nd Lieutenant

Unfortunately you're mistaken Kat. A winner between K9 and RUAG Krait is to be announced around Christmas time this year. RUAG's M109 Krait is likely the more cost effective option and will likely get a tie-up with Kongsberg to modernize the existing M109A3GNs should it be selected. This makes it attractive from a local business perspective.

M109A3GN.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RUAG M109 Krait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K9 is the other option, but is would be an entirely new system for Norwegian crews with an entirely new supply chain. It would need to be Norwegianized with like the Indian K9 or Turkish T-155, where as the M109 Krait is already familiar to Norwegian artillery crews. It's intriguing, but more costly. I don't have any relevant information on the prospects of a tie-up with local defence companies, but I expect Kongsberg to get subcontracting work should Norwegian subsystem by used anywhere on the K9.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the plus side for the K9, Estonia and Finland have committed to purchasing the type, which could ease procurement if a block buy arrangement is approached, like what Norway and Poland have discussed with the Type-212 mod Norway is buying to replace its Ula class submarines.

Overall I like the K9 better as an option for the Norwegian Army's Artillery Battalion, though I wouldn't scoff at the M109 Krait either.