Medical waivers for USAF

Discussion in 'U.S. Air Force' started by Casey Wagner, Dec 5, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Casey Wagner

Casey Wagner Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Motocross
    So I didn't get my medical waiver approved for a shoulder surgery I had done in March of this year (2017). I'm pretty devastated because I scored a 78 on my ASVAB and am perfectly healthy. It did not state that it was a permanent disqualification and my recruiter said we may be able to try again this June, "I'm not sure why we wouldn't try again in March at the 1 year point." I really had my heart set on the Air Force and I'm willing to wait until June to try again. What are the chances I will get the waiver approved after more time has passed? Good? Bad? Somewhere in between? Why would there be a process at all if it wasn't likely?

Thanks for reading.

Casey Wagner

2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Major

Hobby:
    Sport
    Hey there bud. You just need to be patient and train hard. As you get stronger you will also confirm your self that you shoulder is 100% Just make sure you train proper while your shoulder get stressed. Beside that i dont have knowledge why they did not give you green light. But it look like they was concerned about ur injury. But i am only guessing. It also say to get in to Air Force accepted for enlistment score need to be 50 or higher.

But good luck there Casey

3. JimBowie

JimBowie Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Model Rockets
    I suppose in some cases - mostly wartime - it can depend on how bad the Services need pilots. For example supposedly during the Vietnam war, Undgrad Pilot Training was so short of pilots and losing so many acft they waived eye Vision requirements - and this was Long before PRK etc...: (eg "U.S. Air Force flew 5.25 million sorties over South Vietnam, North Vietnam, northern and southern Laos, and Cambodia, losing 2,251 aircraft: 1,737 to hostile action, and 514 in accidents"). Then there was Douglas Bader who was a double ace in WW2 and flew with no legs - although he was already an RAF Pilot before the war so was trained: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

4. Falcon98

Falcon98 Officer Candidate

I'm a little confused why you feel the focus should be your ASVAB when you are talking about Shoulder Surgery.

Did you take the physical test? Physically what do the doctors say in regards to your range of motion and strength?

Are there any limitations on your shoulder, loads you can bear, weight you can tolerate, etc.