Qatar's Arms Build Up

Discussion in 'The Middle East & North Africa' started by Bangabandhu, Feb 11, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Bangabandhu

Bangabandhu Officer Candidate

After facing removal from the Islamic Military Alliance, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia formed, Qatar began a major arms build up in fears of a joint Saudi-Emirati invasion to the country. Qatar began going to many countries ranging from France to Pakistan in the country's 1st major buildup and modernization they ever had. My question is they are buying many vehicles either the Saudis have or have potential interest in, so would these countries actually help Qatar or nope?

From China: SY-400 Ballistic missiles
    From France: 500 VBCI Armored vehicles, 36 Rafales, 3 A330 MRTTs
    From Germany: 60 Leopard 2A7+, 20 Pzh 2000s, 30 Fenneks and 60 Dingo MRAPs
    From Russia: 2 battalions of S-400 air defense
    From Pakistan: 24 JF-17s and 8 Super Mushshaks.
    From Turkey: 400 Nurol Yalcin, 100 FNS NMS and 1,500 BMC Amazon armored vehicles
    From US: 36 F-15QAs, 3 Boeing 737 AEWCs, 24 AH-64 Apaches, 24 MH-60 helicopters, 12 THAAD Launchers, 12 PAC-3 Launchers and 7 M142 Multiple Rocket launchers.
    From UK: 24 Eurofighters

Bundeswehr, Seraph and Pathfinder like this.
  2. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Lieutenant Colonel

Qatar has a very small native population so I have no idea how they are going to man all of those systems. Besides manning them what about all of the maintenance personnel in the background? Those will probably all be foreigners from the respective companies from which the items were purchased. I would say that there is still a deterrent capability as the U.S. and Turkey have troops stationed there.

@Bangabandhu welcome to the forum buddy!! :heart love:

Bangabandhu likes this.
  3. Seraph

Seraph 2nd Lieutenant

as to answer your question @Bangabandhu
    The French do arm both sides yes but are actually lowering weapon sales to the Saudis and this is France's first major exports to the Qataris since the 1980s-1990s. In The End the French will still supply both nations weapons and parts as it will increase their profits, so technically it is only a bonus for them in the end.

The Germans, I am surprised they armed them with what they did, because Germany is tired of arming these countries a few years ago Germany had a chance to arm the Saudi armed forces with a major multi-billion dollar deal but declined because of Saudi Human rights violations and the Saudi intervention in Yemen. for sure Germany will help Qatar but the question is for how long.

For China and Russia, the two really do not care who they supply weapons too, similar to France it is a major bonus for the two. though China has stronger ties with Saudis in defense after signing a major defense agreement to let the Saudis produce 300 UAVs in the Arab country. If Qatar only has purchased 1 item from China, I tell you that the Chinese will really help the Saudis because the Saudis are also looking to purchase the J-31. now for Russia, it is really hard to tell who Russia will help, maybe neither, because both the Saudi and Qatari's helped the Syrian opposition.

Pakistan has stronger ties with the Saudis since the 1980s even selling the Pakistanis 250 Al-Fahd armored vehicles while have interest in purchasing 300 Al-Khalid MBTs, 150 JF-17s, and the Anza MANPAD and there is ~300 SSG Commandos in Riyadh under the command of the Saudi King. Pakistan only wants to sell Qatar the JF-17s because it will make PAC more efficient in building the jet plus handling exports.

The UK is under the Saudi influence. you can tell by the Saudis demanding BAE to build a factory in the kingdom to construct the Eurofighters and again the Eurofighters for Qatar was almost canceled but the Brits decided to sell only 24 Eurofighters.

Turkey has defense ties with both the Saudis and Qataris but Qatar has the stronger ties with Turkey. Qatar has expressed interest in purchasing the 600 BMC Kirpis, Altay MBTs. The Saudis will not do anything to Turkey because Turkey could export mass quantity to them as well and The Saudis have expressed into buying 2 Ada class corvettes, 2 Istanbul class corvettes, 75 TFX Fighters and 30 T-129s. and last month the Saudis-Turks jointly developed the ESHAR ISR Aircraft which the RSAF is looking at buying 4 right now.

Bangabandhu likes this.
  4. Matthew East

Matthew East Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Cars and Military
    I think its less about manning them then simple buying security. Purchase these systems from these countries and they have a stake in keeping you safe directly or indirectly.

Bangabandhu likes this.
  5. Bangabandhu

Bangabandhu Officer Candidate

either if the equipment helps them directly or indirectly it is showing the area what Qatar is made of. The more they spend the better. My question is why so many different types of jets to why F-15QA, JF-17, Rafale and Eurofighters?