Tape Standards at MEPS

Discussion in 'U.S. Navy' started by JFlare08, Apr 11, 2018.

Share This Page

1. JFlare08

JFlare08 Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Water polo
    Hey everyone I'm going to MEPS Friday but I'm a little worried about passing the tape test. I'm a 19 yr old female and I exceed the weight and height standards so there is no doubt I'm going to get taped. I measured in at about 35.5 for the abdominal but it keeps fluctuating between 35.5- 36.5. I know the next thing to do would be the body fat composition but Im haveing the same trouble, I fluctuate between a 59-59.5 for females bca measurement my recruiter measured me at 5"6 but I had shoes on so I'm pretty sure I'm like 5"5 and a half. My question is when I'm at MEPS will they make me come back if if just barely over the limit, I'm doing DEP so I'll have time before I leave for basic to get to a comfortable standard?

Admin likes this.
  2. Dook

Dook 2nd Lieutenant

Hobby:
    Technology
    I don't know the exact measurements the military goes by. For the US Navy I can tell you that in boot camp those who were close to being over the limits had to march to the gym and do an hour of extra exercises in the evenings.

After boot camp everyone does required exercises with their unit twice a week and everyone is physically tested twice a year, usually in October and April. Every branch has it's own standards but for the Navy you have to pass:

Sit and reach your toes

Height and weight, if you are close you will get taped

Run 1.5 mile in a certain time depending on your age and whether you are male or female, or you can do the swim test instead of running

Do a minimum amount of situps

Do a minimum amount of pushups

Here is the test:

https://www.military.com/military-fitness/navy-fitness-requirements/navy-basic-training-pft

If you fail any part of the above you will fail that Physical Fitness Readiness (PRT) test and you will have to report to the gym twice a week before work and do exercises for an hour and you will have to do this until you pass the next PRT. Failing a PRT will also affect your promotion status. If you fail three PRT's in a row they will kick you out and give you $10,000, after taxes it comes to about $7,000.

Every branch has different physical standards, the US Marines are the most strict, then the US Army and Navy. The US Air Force and Coast Guard are the easiest.

If you have a problem with your weight I would suggest you pick a service that is not strict on physical standards because as you get older it's going to be more difficult for you to pass and you don't want to be kicked out when you are at 18 years and you only have 2 more years to go to retire.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Admin likes this.
Tags: