Writing a book about modern warfare

Discussion in 'U.S. Army' started by Al Legacy, Nov 8, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Al Legacy

Al Legacy Officer Candidate

Hobby:
    Writing
    Good evening, everyone ! I'm writing a book about modern warfare and I'm in the process of doing some research to get some material for the book. I have some questions that I hope the forum can answer. Anyway, here goes :

1. Are there US Army personnel stationed at Vandenberg AFB or do they just visit for missions?

2. When you receive a message on a SINCGARS do you have to pick up the receiver to hear it, or is the sender's message just transmitted through when they speak?

3. Could an RG-6 grenade launcher destroy an armored Humvee ?

4. Is there ever radio static when you use a SINCGARS ?

5.Could anyone describe what a tripwire C4 bomb looks like or provide a picture of one ?

6. How is the M240 7.62 mm machine gun operated from a Humvee?

7. Would a M26 Modular Accessory Shotgun System ( MASS ) be practical to use to breach a locked RV door ?

That should be it.

Best regards,

Al Legacy

YarS likes this.
  2. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    @Al Legacy

I dont have answer on all your question. But i can guarantee you will easy find the answer if you google abit. Beside that, it must be fun and challenge to write a book on modern warfare. My best tips for you. Is to search on Youtube. You will find so much knowledge on modern warfare. You need to take time and study this. @YarS can give you a head start how modern warfare works. I have seen time to time when he talks about it. And he have a bit knowledge on it. I will also recommend you to focus also on how America is using influence in politics when they use sanction on other countries. America and Europa is very strong there.

My also tips is. 2 key words mobility and weapons/tools who can be used for many operations.

3. Al Legacy

Hobby:
    Writing
    Thanks ! I'll try to contact at YarS.

4. BlueHawk

BlueHawk Captain

Hobby:
    Sport
    You welcome

5. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    May be, you will be interested in this thread:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.americanmilitaryforum.com/forums/threads/future-battlefields-belgium-2022.1653/

I'm not an expert about US-Army, but I can try to help.
    Yes. There are near six thousands of personnel. There are 30th Space wing, 14th AirReg, 381 training group, etc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandenberg_Air_Force_Base
    If sender send message as 'transmitted voice' - you will hear it when it transmitted. If it is data message - you need to decode it.
    Hm... Only of it's windows are open, and there are pack of explosives in the car.
    Yes, especially in early models (before RT-1523C)
    Pack of C4 in the metal corpus, detonator, wire throw enemies way.
    Something like it:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-M240-7-62-mm-machine-gun-operated-from-a-Humvee

"Usually they are mounted on a pintle and ring mount which is up above the shotgun seat. This is your most basic system and it allows the gunner to rotate the gun in a 360 degree arc and elevate it vertically as well. I’m no longer very much up on crew served weapons since it’s been almost 50 years since I got out of the Corps. This type of vehicle mount is used for all your machine guns including the M2 .50 caliber and the M249 5.56NATO. I believe the Army and Marines have some turret mounted systems for the M240 which gives the gunner much better protection then the exposed pintle mount. Someone on active duty could give us a much better reply to this question!"

May be, may be not. Depends of many factors.

6. Al Legacy

Hobby:
    Writing
    Thanks for your help ! I really appreciate the support. Your answers have caused some more questions to come up though.

3. Could an RG-6 grenade launcher destroy an armored Humvee ?
    Hm... Only of it's windows are open, and there are pack of explosives in the car.

Would it change your answer if the gunman with the RG-6 attacked from only a short distance away ?

5.Could anyone describe what a tripwire C4 bomb looks like or provide a picture of one ?
    Pack of C4 in the metal corpus, detonator, wire throw enemies way.

Are bombs that beep just Hollywood interpretation or are there bombs that actually beep before they explode ?

7. YarS

YarS Lieutenant Colonel

Hobby:
    Wh40k, Battletech
    On the short distance (less than 10-15 m) VOG-25 will not blast. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Depends from used detonator. I'd never saw beeping detonator. Normal detonators blast without pause (and without beep, of course). If you use fuse from grenade - there will be click, pause 3-4 secs, and then - blast.

8. Al Legacy

Hobby:
    Writing

It seems l

I see. Going back to the question about the RG-6, would the armored Humvee at least be significantly damaged by a direct hit from a RG-6 and most likely anyone nearby or inside would be fatally injured ?

9. Al Legacy

Hobby:
    Writing
    Still gathering material and doing research, guys. I want to send my thanks to everyone whose lent their support and advice so far. I've also come up with other questions after beginning some draft pages.

1 . Could I see a full-view picture of a modern US Army Chemical Corps soldier in his/her uniform ?

2. Are helmet cameras, kevlar vests and gas masks usually reserved for active warzones only or are there other occasions where those pieces of equipment are used ? Such as transporting supplies outside of war zones ?